Monday, July 21, 2008

Bryce Canyon National Park - First Half Marathon

Well, I finally ran my first half marathon! Yes, I ran all 13.1 miles without stopping. My mother-in-law will be the first to point out that I didn't quite take 1st place, but I think 534 out of 1400 is pretty darn good. haha

I was also able to visit Bryce Canyon National Park for the first time. It was breathtaking!

5 things I learned about running a half at Bryce Canyon.

1) The race is down hill, but easy on the knees.
2) Very few Americans can be found in the park. It's almost like searching for wildlife. (I thought I needed to learn Spanish, but now I need to learn French.)
3) It is actually possible for someone to run a 5 minute mile. I ran a 10 minute mile, so I am of course not talking about myself. :)
4) I would consider anyone over the age of 60 and under 13 that is able to run a half, my hero.
5) The red rock is amazing! The views are awesome!

Here are a few of my favorite pics...

Tipi at Ruby Inn's Lake

2 Mile Mark of Bryce Canyon Half

4 Mile Mark

9 Mile Mark

FINISH LINE!!!
(Everyone wins a medal, so don't get excited for me.)

Bryce Point Hike
(Bella and Sofia)

Sunset Point

Sunset Point Navaho Trail

Navaho Trail
(Tata and Cheesy Boy)

Cannonville, UT
(Finishline of marathon)

Bryce Canyon Point

Taking a breather at the arch
on Bryce Canyon Point hike

Bryce Canyon Point

Bryce Canyon Point

The Boys on Bryce Canyon Point

4 comments:

jeannie said...

YAY! I'm glad to see you blogging again!! Congrats on your awesome run!
You have been the travel guru lately haven't you!! Love all your pics!! Keep it up!

Brooke said...

Wow! Thats awesome, looks like it was a great view along with the run. what next a tri-athalon? Im glad to see you back in bloggerville.

Kylee Brown said...

hey! you look like you are having a blast!!!

=^..^= said...

Thank you for your post - I've been contemplating this one and glad to read someone's personal view and you sold me on it. This will be my 3rd half this year and was concerned with the elevation, but I'm "down" for a down hill race :) Thanks again and KEEP-ON-RUNNIN'!