Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Over to Kona" - Hawaii Day 6

I left the JW Marriott in Oahu around 9AM to catch an 11AM inter-island flight to Kona. It cost about $130 round-trip on Hawaiian Airlines. The flight was only about 45 minutes. (iPod on...iPod off...)

When I first landed in Kona I was excited to see the cute outdoor airport. This is the Hawaii, I had expected. They even had hula dancers performing for passengers waiting to board their flights.
Kona Airport

I was picked up at the airport by town car. Though, my driver was awesome, my drive from the airport was less than impressive. All I could see was dry black lava as far as the eye could see. Plus, there was a fog called "Vog" (volcanic smog) covering the island.

Volcanic Cave along the freeway


However, once I reached the resort....I was in awe!!
Suzanne, and I in front of the Fairmont Orchid.

The grounds were amazing. Tropical flowers, and waterfalls everywhere.

View of the pool from the lobby of the Fairmont.

View of the koi ponds in front of my room.

View of the beach (lagoon) at the Fairmont.

Isn't this what everyone needs when relaxing at the beach.
Not just a plain lounge chair for me. :)

Note: VOG
Note: Black Sand Beaches
Note: The white rocks are used for graffiti...

Such as this...
(It actually said Chris Loves Amy,
and I was too lazy to change it.)

The flowers were breathtaking!

We were lucky enough to stay on the concierge level at the Orchid. If, you can afford it, I would recommend it. It includes valet parking (normally $21 per day) plus food, drinks, and internet, throughout the day.

Check back tomorrow to hear about the GREEN side of the island. I risked my life for a great shot, so make sure to check it out. :)

No comments: